PrettySweetBoy

Sunday, March 23, 2008

Rock Me? Yes, You Will

So I went to see We Will Rock You in Toronto last night with " DMG "–this would be the musical based on Queen songs, if you’re out of the loop. I honestly had no real idea what to expect, other than, hey, Queen is pretty much awesome and I absolutely love musicals, so where can you go wrong?

Oh, how I underestimated the possibilities for awesomeness here. This show took all of my favourite things in entertainment–big, overwrought emotions, quest stories, self-aware humour, singing and dancing, dystopia fiction, an overall non-conformist, anti-corporate social awareness/activist message AND a great feminist lead female character–and put them on a stage. With Queen songs.

Scaramouche–the main female lead–is my new hero. She was funny and sarcastic, and though the show makes Galileo (Figaro…again, heh) out as the “chosen one”, she never comes off as just his sidekick. She comes off as the one who attaches practicality to his dreams. She’s the computer whiz, he’s kind of all over the place. She constantly questions him when he pulls bullshit gender cards on him–replying to “I can’t have my ‘chick’ do my work for me” with “I’m sorry, at exactly what point in this relationship did you take the dickhead pill?” I had this moment of “Oh my God, these people actually understand this dynamic” when Galileo says something along the lines of “Why do you always have to play this bullshit feminist self-assertion stuff? I’m trying to SAVE THE WORLD here!” and she calls him out on his craziness and essentially says “And I’m not? I’d just like to do it and not be treated like a dog while it happens”. At which point my brain exploded.




In short, the performance really was excellent !!!

PrettySweetBoy

1 Comments:

Blogger kuchai said...

lucky you......

March 25, 2008 at 6:49 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home