PrettySweetBoy

Monday, May 19, 2008

Iron Man

I finally got to see Iron Man last night. And it surprised me how good the movie was for several different reasons. One, it was really funny. I thought Robert Downey Jr was hilarious in his quest to create the Iron Man suit. He was somewhat the anti-hero. Sure it stretched bounds at times but who cares. Two, the movie creates a really good sense of jeopardy that seems to be missing from so many films. I loved it.

But what I found fascinating was the underlining social commentary about war and terrorism. This was the first movie that really painted the United States in a darker hue. We were the war mongers as much as anyone. Iron Man’s quest was against people from the United States. Even the terrorists were supplied by us. This movie would have been considered communist if created in the 50’s.

I loved that it really looked at the cost of war on humans. It essentially asks, “What are we doing?” The scenes with the refugee families being separated was strikingly deep. This movie really took the popcorn action flick and turned it on its ear.

I enjoyed the ride from the beginning all the way to the bonus scene that plays after the ending credits.
PrettySweetBoy

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home