PrettySweetBoy

Monday, December 29, 2008

Weekend @ the movies

DMG & I saw two movies recently, Slumdog Millionaire and Doubt.
Slumdog is a story about a young man, Jamal, who is on the brink of winning the Indian version of “Who wants to be a Millionaire.” Through a series of interrogations (and torture) by the police who believe he cheated, the story unfolds in flashbacks. One slice of his life for each question he answered on that show.

This is an English language film set in Mumbai and directed by Danny Boyle, the same guy who did Trainspotting. I love this guy’s work, particularly the camera angles and the breakneck pacing of the story which moves, moves, moves.

There were some moments in this film when I was on the verge of tears, but his movie doesn’t really ask for audience pity. Yeah these kids are street orphans, but they are survivors and seeing them win every battle is what really makes you cry. Go see that if you get a chance, it is my favorite movie of 2008.
Doubt - There was something about this movie that was missing. The performances were good, the storyline was good, but I felt like it didn't grip me. I didn't care. I didn't really care if the priest had done it, I didn't care about the kid that may have been abused and I didn't really care about the nun who suspected him. Although a good movie on the surface, I wasn't at all engaged and it therefore left me wanting something more and not getting it.

Slumdog Millionaire - One of the year's best...

PrettySweetBoy

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home